The Training Needs Assessment certificate program spans eight hours and is completed online, over two half-days. You will take part in a live, virtual instructor-led (VILT) class, that includes ample time for discussion, analysis and an applied case study review.
Your prework includes two brief reading assignments and an activity designed to provide foundational knowledge about the four levels of needs assessment, the outcomes of needs assessment and the types of questions needs assessment can answer.
Introduction to the Importance of Needs Assessment
- Defining training needs assessment.
- Review the importance of needs assessment in the training development process.
- Needs analysis as a risk mitigation strategy.
- How to involve stakeholders throughout the process.
RELATED JOB AIDS: Executive Report, Recommendations Conversation Preparation
Types of Needs Assessment and When to Use Them
- The four levels of needs assessment (i.e., organization, program, person, task).
- Questions answered at each level.
Data Sources and Strategies
- The pros and cons if different data sources, and when to use which data source.
- How to create a data gathering strategy based on a real-world scenario.
RELATED JOB AIDS: Tips for Surveys, Tips for Preparing and Conducting Interviews, Questions for Preliminary Analysis, Needs Assessment Project Planner
- Aligning gap analysis to organizational goals.
- Planning for measuring success of interventions.
- Adjusting strategies for gathering information based on your audience.
ACTIVITY: When Training Isn’t the Answer
Aligning Needs Assessment With Course/Program Design
- Translating needs assessment into instructional design recommendations.
Managing the Needs Assessment Process
- Identifying and communicating with stakeholders.
- Prioritizing between competing needs.
Application: Identify the Scope
- Review the stages of a needs assessment and discuss time and resource requirements.
RELATED JOB AIDS: Identifying the Scope of a Training Needs Analysis