Spanning eight total learning hours, Training Industry’s Measuring the Impact of L&D Certificate program is completed online over the course of two half-days. This Training Industry course offers the chance to participate in a virtual instructor-led (VILT) class with ample time for discussion, analysis, real-world examples and case studies designed to help you measure training and development effectiveness in your organization.
- My Evaluation Plan: Complete a template designed to help you identify your current training metrics and measurement strategies.
- The Kirkpatrick Model for Evaluating Training Pre-read
APPROACHES TO TRAINING EVALUATION
- Discussion of your previous experience with measuring training effectiveness.
- Introduction to:
- Kirkpatrick’s Four Levels of Training Evaluation.
- Training and Development Return on Investment (ROI).
- L&D Transfer Climate Analysis.
LEARNER REACTIONS (KIRKPATRICK “LEVEL 1”)
- When learner feedback (i.e., “smile sheets”) is important.
- Level 1 Metrics: Affective reactions versus knowledge acquisition.
- Reporting on L&D effectiveness using Level 1 results.
LEARNING (KIRKPATRICK “LEVEL 2”)
- When it is important for you to measure L&D effectiveness and types of learning (e.g., knowledge or skill acquisition, attitude or motivational change).
- Collecting your training and development Level 2 Metrics and visualizing your training effectiveness results:
- Pre-post training test
- Knowledge check
- Post-training test only
- Control group
- Reporting on training and development effectiveness using Level 2 results.
BEHAVIOR CHANGE (KIRKPATRICK “LEVEL 3”)
- When it is important for you to measure the impact of training and development on behavior.
- Choosing a methodology to measure training and development effectiveness using Level 3:
- Pre-post training assessment
- Post-training assessment/Retrospective pre-training test
- Control group
- Multi-rater feedback on training and development relevant behavior
- Choosing and tracking key performance indicators (KPIs), training metrics and target behaviors.
- Reporting on training related behavior change.
BUSINESS IMPACT (KIRKPATRICK “LEVEL 4”)
- When it is important for you to measure training effectiveness.
- Understanding training and development-relevant business metrics.
- Identifying the impact your trainees have on your target training metrics.
- Defining business improvement and understanding sources of training and development data.
- Isolation techniques and visualization:
- Control group
- Participant attribution
- Participant estimation
- Reporting on training and development effectiveness using Level 4 results.
RETURN ON INVESTMENT (ROI)
- Defining ROI/the basics of the ROI formula.
- Calculating the components of your ROI formula.
- Understanding your training ROI calculation results.
TRANSFER CLIMATE ANALYSIS
- Defining the training transfer climate and identifying common factors that impact the transfer of training.
- Choosing the right climate factors.
- Collecting L&D climate data.
- Leadership training evaluation
- Sales training evaluation
- Conflict management training evaluation
- Application in Your Own Training and Development Programs: Complete a training evaluation plan for one or more of your learning and development programs.
WANT TO LEARN MORE?
List of Job Aids and Resources You’ll Receive Throughout the Program:
- Executive Summary Results Template
- Training Cost Calculator
- Kirkpatrick Level 3 and 4 “Cheat Sheets”
- Step-by-Step Guide to Isolating the Impact of Training
- Visualizing Training Results Template
- Curated collection of Training Industry resources focused on measuring the impact of L&D including webinars, podcast episodes, magazines, and e-books