“We need training on….”
Does this sound familiar? Whether the request is submitted via email, in a telephone conversation or even in passing, training requests come in all shapes and forms — often without any evidence of the rationale behind them.
Without a questionnaire for a training request, this process can lead the training department down a rabbit hole of unprioritized work, miscommunication, confusion and misalignment. Remember that the purpose of training is to drive a behavioral change that supports the company’s objectives, and effective training programs are aligned to business strategy.
This training request form template dispels the misconception that the training department is like a restaurant, where the servers (the training consultants) are order-takers. Being strategically aligned to the business enables training consultants to partner with their clients (internal or external) to clarify the need for training and to emphasize that the outcome of the training should contribute to the prioritized company goals.
Create your own version of this form, and save it in a shared folder, accessible by the business unit leaders you work with. Set up automated notifications of completed training request forms so you can review them. Displaying each completed form as a line item on a single page will improve efficiency and centralize the training requests in a single location. This way, you can track the information and provide visibility in order to prioritize training projects.
Training Request Form: What to Include
- Executive stakeholder name
- Requesting department/organization
- Requestor name
- Problem statement
- Training topic/name
- Business goal and benefit
- Strategic alignment: How does the training align with company objectives?
- Desired behavioral/skills change
- Brief training description
- Number of employees
- What data/metric do you wish to improve?
- Desired launch date
- Is the due date driven by a larger project or initiative?
- Subject matter expert names
- Reviewer name(s)
- Client/stakeholder name sign-off
- Translations required (if the company is global)
- Communication plan
- Additional notes
Notes can include:
- Verify if there is existing training in your learning management system.
- Training modality suggestion.
- Other training solutions and why they did not accomplish your goal(s).
- Date the training should be completed by learners.
- What completion reporting is required and to whom it should be sent.